I find most of my clients are unsure of what they are entitled to claim for.

There are many allowances available but people need to do a bit of digging. If you are receiving Career’s Allowance then you should also apply for a free Travel Pass. Even if you do not intent to use it soon.

Free travel is available on all State public transport (bus, rail & Dublin’s LUAS). You can travel on a number of services operated by private bus companies but you need to check this out for yourself. There are no restrictions on the times at which you can use your Travel Pass.

After been granted Career’s Allowance you should automatically receive your pass. If not, then complete application form FT1. More information is available from the Department of Social Protection. Call 1890 500 000 or www.welfare.ie.