Bear with me, I know the weather is great at the moment but there is logic in writing this article now.

If you are currently in receipt of Domiciliary Care Allowance then you may be able to gain access to the Warmer Home Scheme. The aim of the scheme is to make their homes warmer, healthier, and cheaper to run at no additional cost to the owner. The following is a list of some of the home energy improvements offered as part of this scheme:

  • Attic insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Draught proofing
  • Lagging jackets
  • Low energy light bulbs
  • Energy advice


Like all schemes, there are a number of small prints, but the main ones are that you must own and live in your own home before 2006. You must not have received works previously under the Warmer Homes Scheme

How the scheme works

Subject to your eligibility for the scheme the steps are:

  • You will be contacted by a surveyor acting on behalf of SEAI who will arrange a time to visit your home.
  • During the visit, the surveyor will assess your home and ascertain the measures which may be required.
  • If eligible works are identified, then an SEAI appointed installer will be assigned to your home.
  • The installer will contact you to arrange a time to install the measures.
  • Works are completed – the time taken to complete the works may vary from a number of days to a number of weeks.
  • Installers will then offer a two-year guarantee on all works carried out.

All homes receive a post works Building Energy Rating (BER).


The only negative aspect I can see at the moment is the waiting times. It is estimated that there are waiting times of around six to nine months.

If you don’t receive Domiciliary Care Allowance then you may also gain access to the scheme if you are in receipt of

  • Fuel Allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme
  • Family Income Supplement
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (over 6 months and have a child aged under 7 years)
  • One Parent Family Payment

How to apply

To apply for the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme, you will need to submit:

The application form below, completed and signed by you. It should also be signed and stamped by an official of the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

Proof of ownership of your home. Provide a copy of one of the following with your name and address clearly shown:

Your home insurance policy (not a quote)

Your mortgage statement

The title deeds to your property

Your Local Property Tax notification letter, supported by a utility bill.

For any additional queries or if you require assistance please call their Freephone 1800 250 204 or email and request Warmer Homes Application form.