Discretionary Medical cards are issued by the HSE and are granted due to the medical condition of a child and not the parents’ income.
I find it very frustrating to write an article around our current medical card service available in Ireland today, it is very frustrating and a complete disgrace in my opinion.
We have special need children who have lots of different needs, the least I feel any government in office should do is meet the medical needs. Those who have disabilities should at the very least have a medical card allowed to them and not to beg for a medical card as I see so many parent having to do.
Discretionary Medical Card Benefits
• Free doctor services
• Most prescribed drugs and medicines (€2.00 prescription charge)
• Public hospital services and medical appliances
• Dental, optical and aural services
• Maternity and infant care services
• Some care services (public health nursing, social work services and other community care services)
It is very hard when you are a carer to attend meetings and rally’s as we are where we are needed, with those in our care. But I would plea with you do not give up. We all have to choose our battles and remember why we do this, it’s for our children. I feel we have to let their voices be heard through ours.
This article was prepared by Dolores Crowley. If you have a question, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 021 482 3635.