If your hospital consultant prescribed a special diet for your child with special needs. Then it may be possible to claim an allowance from your health board. As usual this scheme is means tested and you must be in receipt of a social welfare payment.

The following is a list of diets that qualify:

  • Low-lactose, milk-free diet
  • Gluten-free diet
  • High-protein, high-calorie diet
  • Altered consistencies diet

If your child diet is not on this list, then I would still encourage you to contact your local health board to see can you become part of the scheme.