When I phone parents to confirm their second appointment with Allan, sometimes a little panic sets in as parents haven’t completed all their tasks from their first meeting with Allan.
When I originally meet with Allan all those years ago to do my own trust planning for David, I had none of the tasks done, 6 months later, I still didn’t have them done. So, we came up with a solution. Every Wednesday I set aside some time to start or finish the most urgent task until eventually it was all completed.
Why don’t we have the tasks done?
- Because we are extremely busy
- Our children may need our attention more than other parents
- There is a lot of tasks to be done and it seems huge
- You don’t know where to start
Or maybe the real reason, it could bring up a lot of emotions for us and we don’t want to go there!!
Why does Allan give the tasks at all?
- Allan has worked with parents of children with additional needs since 2008.
- He cares about the future life of your child and your family.
- We have seen and heard too many stories about parents who have passed away and now it’s too late to put the plans they intended for their child in place.
- And for his sins, he works with me, who daily tells him the reality of being a parent of a child with additional needs.
So, I’m trying to say that yes, it’s challenging to do all the tasks. Break it down. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Stop stressing and every step done is a step in the right direction.
One thing I am sure of is when parents phone or email me to say it’s done and everything is completed for their son or daughter. They feel like a weight is lifted.
Allan, David, and I are here if you need us. If you still have an outstanding task or there is anything either of us can do to help, don’t hesitate to contact us.